Smoked haddock potato gratin
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 1 hour
- 1 kg (2 lb) smoked haddock fillets
- 450ml (3/4 pint) semi-skimmed milk
- 2 fresh bay leaves, 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1.2kg (3 lb) floury potatoes such as Maris Piper, peeled and thinly sliced
- 25g (1oz) butter
- 300ml (1/2pint) carton double cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
2. Layer up the sliced potatoes and flaked fish with the garlic and plenty of seasoning in a well-buttered 1.7litre (3pint) shallow ovenproof dish, ending with a neat layer of potatoes. Dot with butter and pour over the reserved cooking milk and cream.
3. Bake in the oven for 50 – 60 minutes until the potato is tender and the top golden and crisp. Cover with foil if the top gets too brown. Serve with a green salad or frozen peas.