BBQ steak and salad
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
- 4 rump or sirloin or venison steaks
- 1 tsp black peppercorns, lightly crushed
- 3 - 4 tbsp garlic flavoured rape seed oill
- 4 plum tomatoes, halved
- 450g new potatoes, cooked and halved
- 1 large bunch watercress, washed
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- Ĺ cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
Rub the black pepper into the steaks and season with salt. If cooking over charcoal it is essential that the coals are just right i.e. turned grey with minimum flame and that you have a resting area away from the heat.
This recipe was provided by Mary Gwynn, a local author and food writer. She writes regularly for Waitrose Weekend newspaper and has published several cookery books, including The WI Cookbook: The First 100 Years and The Busy Mumís Cookbook. She is on the committee of Penshurst Farmers Market.