Almost all the markets in Kent were run by volunteers;
- The sector was highly fragmented,
- There was no general promotion and awareness of a Farmers' Markets ‘brand’.
This stimulated an initiative to form the Association and exploit more cooperative ways of working.
The Association is now the largest regional grouping of Farmers’ Markets in the country operating over 1200 markets a year. It undertakes a range of activities, including:-
-The promotion of local food grown in the Garden of England and Farmers Market in the eyes of the media, Local Authorities and other partners
- operating a common web site to help shoppers find markets, their opening times and produce soldpromoting 'value for money' in order increase spend per shopper
- encouraging best practice by helping managers and producers improve standards
- informing all of changes in Food Regulations;
- collaboration of marketing and purchasing
- helping producers find additional outlets for their products and grow their businesses,
- helping Managers find producers
- Advising new markets on establishing strong foundations,
We believe passionately that Farmers' Markets provide shoppers with higher quality, more nutritious, easily traceable and fresher local food and drink. In addition, they give Kent's farmers and small food enterprises the opportunity to sell direct to the public and so get a fair price for their products. They also offer a location for local communities to get together and often to replace a closed village shop.
We also offer Membership to Farmers Markets located outside of Kent so that they can also benefit from the work of the Association (e.g Insurance, suppliers, web site etc).
The Association is 'Not for profit' organisation and is financed by Market and Producer subscriptions. In addition, we have been fortunate in receiving various grants from KCC and other organisations which enabled us to help Markets during the Covid pandemic and then to promote the markets by the development of co-operative projects.
Kent Farmers' Market Association collects data in order to keep our traders, market managers and shoppers informed about local food in Kent. A full statement of our data policy can be read here. You have the right to view and amend the data we hold on you or be removed from our database entirely.
Please CONTACT US on firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.