Purple sprouting broccoli with quick lemon hollandaise
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 3 minutes
- 3 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 6 black peppercorns
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 3 large free-range egg yolks
- 100g (4oz) unsalted butter
- grated rind and juice of Ĺ lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 750g purple sprouting broccoli, trimmed and steamed
2. Place the reduced vinegar in the goblet of the blender with the egg yolks and process briefly to mix. Heat the butter in a small pan until really bubbling but not browned. With the blender running, pour the hot butter on the egg yolks in a steady stream. The sauce should be thick and creamy. Stir in the lemon rind and the juice, season to taste and serve with steamed broccoli, or a meaty fish such as salmon, skate or monkfish.
This recipe was provided by Mary Gwynn, a local author and food writer. She writes regularly for Waitrose Weekend newspaper and has published several cookery books, including The WI Cookbook: The First 100 Years and The Busy Mumís Cookbook. She is on the committee of Penshurst Farmers Market.